Removing device doctor
03-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Removing device doctor
Downloaded it from Kim Kammando site and found that I had lost Google, then noticed I that I was having a worse internet connection. Fairly unsophisticated with computers and I thought I would test the relationship by removing Device Doctor briefly and seeing what difference it made.
I went to the control panel and then to programs and features. When I asked it to remove device doctor it said it had done it and device doctor is no longer listed there but it is still on my computer.
If this is not under my control I would like it gone. How do I remove it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2010, 01:43 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2010 01:43 AM by Thomas.)
RE: Removing device doctor
If it's not listed anymore, but still present on your computer (what actually is still present? executable? or just the Device Doctor folder was left, or an icon on the desktop?), you can remove the files manually.

Alternatively if you use Start button to get list of all your programs installed, there might still be Device Doctor entry with two sub items (in case it wasn't uninstalled correctly for some reason), one of them being Uninstall Device Doctor which you can run to uninstall.

(The only time when Device Doctor could affect your internet connection speed, is during the time it's running a scan of your drivers as it needs internet connection to download drivers, other than that if it's idle or not running it shouldn't affect your internet connection at all.)
03-05-2010, 05:05 AM
Thought it was over. Managed to uninstall the toolbar. No for some reason the standard google did not revert. Still have the doctor d version which I find inferior. I am sure I will find a way to remove it but imagine there are many like me with limited technical skills and wonder why this is so hard.
03-06-2010, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2010 02:37 AM by Thomas.)
I can't think of a reason why Device Doctor on your computer can't be removed using the standard uninstall procedure I'm sorry. Still manual deletion of files should do. In my experience I have installed hundreds of applications on my computer over years and Device Doctor is one of the better ones - all the times I tested it uninstall is seamless, takes a second or two even on an old machine I have.
If it doesn't uninstall well on your computer, something must went wrong with that particular installation.

The search toolbar that was recently bundled with Device Doctor (it can be unselected during installation so that it's not installed at all), is technically a standalone software. With current installation procedure, it will not uninstall with Device Doctor uninstallation, but it must be uninstalled separately., which you did already, so what remains is to revert the home page in Internet Explorer:

To remove a home page please click on the arrow to the right of the Home button (located on the far right hand side of your IE Tab Bar).

The Home Page drop-down menu should now be displayed. Select the option labeled Remove, then in sub-menu that will be displayed click on the Search page to remove it. Adding Google back as your home page can be done through same sub-menu.

To change search settings, please select from Internet Explorer menu Tools then Manage Add-ons.

Thank you for your kind feedback, it is valuable for programmers, and I'll be adding uninstallation instructions here on the forum based on your feedback.
10-13-2010, 04:17 PM
After following all the instructions from above it would be a good idea to go into REG edit and search for any leftover files of DD and delete them. That way you are sure to be rid of device doctor.
05-26-2011, 10:19 AM
I also have a problem removing Device Doctor. I do not find Device Doctor via Control Panel and the Add/Remove path. I go through Start, Programs as find it. When I click on uninstall it activates but does nothing. As a result my computer freezes and must be corrected by a hard shutdown. Is there another way to delete Device Doctor?
05-29-2011, 11:10 PM
(05-26-2011 10:19 AM)rondor Wrote:  I also have a problem removing Device Doctor. I do not find Device Doctor via Control Panel and the Add/Remove path. I go through Start, Programs as find it. When I click on uninstall it activates but does nothing. As a result my computer freezes and must be corrected by a hard shutdown. Is there another way to delete Device Doctor?

If you do not find it in Add/Remove, that's often caused by earlier uninstallation attempt not finalized for some reason.
Windows built in uninstaller is less powerful in such cases than third party uninstallation tools (eg. you can try the free Revo Uninstaller).

Another possibility would be to download again from http://www.devicedoctor.com/device-doctor-download.php
and reinstall. Once installation is finished, you can go to Add/Remove in Control Panels and use the standard uninstallation procedure.

(Of course that's only if standard installer was used. For portable version, all you need is to delete the folder where Device Doctor was installed.)
01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I am trying to uninstall Device Doctor v.2.1 but when i attempt to do this via Control panel add remove programs, an error message comes up saying "File C:\Program Files (x86)\Device Doctor\unins000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall." I have search everywhere for the answer to this problem and cannot find anything directly relating to my problem. This program is completely useless to me. I need it off my computer. I am having all kinds of issues since I installed this program and tech support through the manufacturer of my computer is telling me that this is malware. Can anyone please tell me how I can get this program completely off my computer?
01-29-2012, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2012 10:33 AM by Thomas.)
> tech support through the manufacturer of my computer is telling me that this is malware

It's not malware, they are used to say so about everything that doesn't come from them, in fact I'm sure they say so in most cases automatically, even when they hear the program name for the first time. (And while they are right in many cases, in many cases they are of course wrong.)

Though I'm sorry for any problems caused in case some driver update was misidentified - in such case you can use Windows restore to recover.

To get rid of the program if the uninstallation failed, one way would be to re-instal from http://www.devicedoctor.com/device-doctor-download.php then un-install.
Of course if you believe the tech support of the manufacturer of your computer, you'll be most likely afraid to re-install.
In such case the only other possibility is to use some advanced uninstaller that can uninstall programs where uninstallation failed for some reason, eg. search for Revo Uninstaller Free - free version would be sufficient and usually helps in cases like that.