Unrelated Update Drivers
01-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Unrelated Update Drivers
Huh Had 8 drivers shown by the Driver Scan needing updates. So downloaded them, only to find that 6 are totally unrelated to existing drivers in my system. For example, I got Sound Effects, S3 Tray Plus Utility, Elan Smart Pad, CPU HotFix, and so on. Nothing to do with update of the drivers that Device Doctor identified. Must I go direct to the manufacturers to get updates? Not to be overly critical, if so, then what is the need for Device Doctor? This is my first time at this, so appreciate your help. Thanks. RTG2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2010, 11:20 AM
RE: Unrelated Update Drivers
This follows earlier post - this time after scanning, got 10 drivers so Device Doctor shows with full identification of each, needing updates. Here, again 8 are the same drivers listed previously, with the Utility saying that I need to download them as well. If the earlier download updated supposedly, then why repeat the need for another and same downloads? The New Drivers pertain to Mouse Ware for PS/2 Port and USB Port. Having downloaded them, now I have problems with my remote Mouse. How to get the Utility to remove the drivers showing a need to download having previously downloaded the updates???? Also, the CPU Hot Fix XP update pertains to Windows XP-SP2 and not SP3 Pac that I have installed. It adds nothing.
01-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the report, hopefully it will be helpful for developers.

Yes, it would be a nice feature - to be able to remove the drivers from the suggestions list, AFAIK it's not possible in this version.

Due to how device scanners generally work, it's not possible to develop a bullet-proof recognition system, unfortunately misidentification like this might happen.
11-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Just reporting again, since the problem still exists, after 9 months:

[Image: capture_11032010_151218.jpg]

Elan Touchpad - properly detected, but requests ALPS Driver (link).

Standard PS/2 Keyboard - notebook's, requests MMKbd_1020_Japan (link).

Other then that, it works great, thanks for the good work guys. Wink